I have had a very busy couple of months and in that time managed to complete two baby blankets for baby girls that I must say I am really happy with. They are both done with the same wool, Patons DK Smoothie in the cream and lilac mix. This is a super soft wool so ideal for baby blankets, it washes well in the machine on a 40 degree wash. Unlike the Stylecraft you cannot tumble dry it so it is more delicate.
The first blanket was done by alternating the colours and then sewing all the squares together at the end. This created a lovely pattern I think.
There were 42 squares in total so 21 of each colourway. Each square had 12 ends so in total there was 504 ends to weave in before I even begun sewing the squares together – this is probably the least enjoyable part of crochet and I am sure other crocheters would agree. Sometimes I am lucky enough to hide an end in the next round but with these colours and pattern it didn’t work.
Once all the squares had been joined I decided to block it before doing the border. Blocking is sort of like setting the item, you either wash it or spray it with water and then pin it out to stretch the yarn into shape. Although all the squares were the same some had stretched more than others so the blocking really helped straighten all the edges out before adding the border. As it was so colourful I decided on a simple border of using the two colours once more each.
It wasn’t an overall easy blanket to make and there’s always parts you think could look better but overall am happy with the end result and I hear that the baby girl that this blanket went to is really enjoying it and so is her Mummy.
The second baby blanket was the same pattern of joining granny squares together but this time all the squares were the same. This gave me a chance to use a new technique I had not tried before of joining the squares as you go.
I watched a wonderful YouTube video by The Corner of Craft whose blog you can find here. She made it look so simple I gave it a try and it works really well. This time I changed the granny square pattern slightly to allow for the joining. For the crocheters out there the first blanket had a chain 1 on the corners and no chains in between the clusters. the second blanket had a chain in between each cluster and then chain 3 in each corner. This meant that the squares would be bigger so to allow for this I made less squares, 35 in total for this blanket. Because I joined the squares as I went I felt like this blanket took far less time, of course it could be that I was very used to this yarn after doing the previous blanket, who knows!
I decided to add the border before blocking on this blanket, the squares were a lot looser so the edges were not as wavy.
Here it is before blocking with a few ends left to weave in. You can see that the edges aren’t that straight and need a bit of a stretch. This is where blocking is brilliant. I washed it with some lovely soft white towels and then stretched it out onto some foam floor mats before going crazy with the pins, it’s up to you how many pins you want to use but I wanted this to stretch quite a bit so pinned out each square as well as all the edges.
As you can see I pinned out nearly each wave of the border to get a nice crisp edge. In case anyone is wondering, when the blanket gets washed again then yes the blocking is technically undone but a good stretch and allowing the blanket to dry as flat as possible means it will still look good.
And there it is complete and ready to go on its journey to a beautiful baby girl. I think the next blanket I make might have to be for me. I rather enjoy making blankets in the winter as they keep you nice and warm whilst you’re working on them!